Friday, January 14, 2011

Encouragement

Recently I decided to load up my kids scooters and go to one of our favorite parks so they could ride around. They haven't been on their scooters in awhile. In fact my daughter Emmie will be five in March but she still has the pink, Disney scooter with three large wheels meant for a 3 yr. old. The problem with riding this scooter is she has to continually push off one foot to stay in motion. There is no coasting down hill like her brothers scooter can do. My son Rhett decided to make it his mission that day to conquer the circumference of the entire park and surrounding areas several times. This involved going up and down hills, over bridges, grass and even rocks. Although he indeed put forth great effort he often had breaks as he coasted down the hills in the cool, breezy air. Emmie, always the one to keep up with her older brother made sure to stay right behind him. However she never got the breaks coasting down hill. She had to constantly push off one foot the ENTIRE time for close to one hour.

I was so proud of her determination. At one point as they were coming closer to where I was standing I noticed Emmie starting to slow down. She was definitely showing signs of burn out. I said to her, "Emmie you are riding so well. I'm so proud of you." She looked at me, said thank you, got a big smile on her face and rode off with gusto still pushing off of one foot.

I thought of all the parallels to that moment and my life working in ministry. Stating the obvious ministry is hard work. Sometimes it feels like you are on rocky terrain, afraid you might lose your footing. Sometimes you go through seasons where it feels like you're constantly pushing off one foot without a break. And hopefully you have moments when it feels like your coasting downhill feeling the breeze on your face. No matter what season you go through encouragement is like the glue that holds the pieces together. It's especially sweet when the timing is critical. That word of sincere encouragement fuels us to keep keeping on. It reminds us that even if were tired we can do it. It gives us re-focus on the purpose of our mission and gives us joy as we go after it.

The look on my daughters face that day reminded me of the power of encouragement. It inspired me to re-think how to encourage others. It made me thankful for the encouragement I receive. And it made me thankful for the seasons of constantly having to push off one foot so I could appreciate the encouragement even more.

No comments: